Friday, May 6, 2011

Be still, my soul


One of the ways I'm stepping in faith is evidenced in the new habits I'm forming. Every day for the last month (or more accurately every night, as is my normal pattern), I've made a concerted effort to sit down at the piano and play through a selection of hymns. In the lobby, there are a few hymnals and a book of beautiful piano/vocal arrangements of the Getty songs that I've come to frequent on a daily basis. Even after just a few weeks of doing this, it's really encouraging to see my progress and see my confidence build. I did grow up taking piano lessons until age 10 or 11, but really got away from having anything to do with the piano for several years. As such, I chose to not play in public, but rather to tickle the keys only once in a great while, perhaps after a long night in the office when I was sure everyone else was sound asleep. These 2- and 3am adventures at the piano were about my only contact for quite a time until recently when I decided to "go rogue" with my playing.

It sort of began one evening a few days after coming back from the Israel trip. Our network had been experiencing problems, and I had called in towards the end of the workday for on-site support to resolve the problem. The technician informed me he would be coming between 10-11pm. Well, someone needed to be there to let him in the building, so I placed myself there in the lobby. Seeing the piano and an empty room, I started to play. By the time the AT&T guy had come and gone a few times (he had to check a few things down the street), I had played through the entire book of Getty songs and had fallen in love with the piano again.

These songs and hymns are so full of rich doctrinal truths that are so beautifully expressed, both in words and music. It has been a blessing to meditate on the different aspects of Christianity as I play the melodies… all creation speaking of God's glory, His love ringing out across the lands, the power of the cross bringing forgiveness, my being secure in Christ because of His incredible sacrifice, the dawning of hope as God's salvation plan is fulfilled in Jesus, the church putting on the armor of God to combat the lies of the devil, a yearning to hear the Lord speak that my faith would rise and I would see His truth and authority.

Last night after coming back from the park, I joined in on the final minutes of dishpit. Those that were involved were exhibiting such an attitude of joyfulness, breaking out in hymns of praise while brandishing the brooms and mops throughout the huge dining room. As there happens to be a piano in the room, I sat down after a few a capella verses and started into the hymnbook. The final hymn really brought it home for us: Be Still My Soul. I'd like to quote one of the verses (sadly the hymnbook omitted it from the register, but it stands as a personal favorite).

"Be still, my soul: begin the song of praise
On earth, believing, to thy Lord on high;
Acknowledge Him in all thy works and ways,
So shall He view thee with a well-pleased eye.
Be still, my soul: the Sun of life divine
Through passing clouds shall but more brightly shine."

No comments:

Post a Comment